Saturday, May 22, 2010

Priming and Paint


Priming was done and painting has started. There will be wainscotting put in in some of the basement walls and I asked if we could save money by just priming and painting the parts that will not be covered by the wainscotting but apparently you have to prime all drywall with sealant primer and never leave it unsealed. I'd been to a number of Benjamin Moore shops to look at colors and educate myself about the different types of paints and finishes and they've all pointed me to their Natura line for zero-VOC. However, when I requested my painter for the Natura zero-VOC line he disapproved. At first all I heard was how hard it's going to be for the paint to cover the walls and other complaints, but then he showed me a can from the Eco-Spec line also by Benjamin Moore that is also zero-VOC that costs almost half the price of the Natura line I realize he's not trying to talk me out of using zero-VOC paint he's really trying to save me money. Well, he benefits too because he explains this way there's room for mark-up from his contractor's rates but in the end we both win because I'm still paying almost 50% less. I wondered why they never mentioned Eco-Spec at the paint stores but then I notice the words "Premium Commerical Coatings" at the top of the can. I suppose it's more for commercial wholesale jobs and not for individual retail. We still needed to use a Natura primer because Eco-Spec doesn't have primers. So ask your painter to get you Eco-Spec and leave the Natura for paint.

I chose Simply White for most of the rooms - all the bathrooms, kitchen, halls, master and upper corner bedrooms, office, back basement bedroom. Doddy's room is Silver Marlin. I'm one of those people who's a bit commitment phobic or just nervous about color. In Vancouver color can look so different on a rainy day compared to a sunny day. I saw Doddy's room after the first coat both when it was sunny and rainy and I'm very happy with it. Especially on that rainy day, it felt warm and cozy. For the mudroom I chose Misted Green and Gray Cashmere from the same chip for the wainscotting. Carolina Gull, from the same chip as well, will be on the exterior WHEN we paint the outside. Classic Gray is in the basement media room. It looks more like a very light beige to me.

My poor painter will have to do a third coat because Simply White is a very pure white. It's not as stark as some other whites which have more of a blue tint in it, it still has a tiny tint of pink in it but it's indeed a very very pure white. My painter initially was trying to talk me into using Cloud White or Moonlight White but I find Cloud White too creamy and Moon White a little gray. I took the colors down to the basement on a gloomy gray weathered day to compare and consider his suggestions but Simply White was simply the best. Plus, I'd seen it at Door Sixteen so I was quite sure I wanted Simply White and so far I'm mostly definitely pleased with the results. I would describe it as the rooms look like they've been photoshopped. Very fresh and pure but not stark cold. Everything is in satin finish for the imminent attack of the kids so a lot of the imperfections will show because of the shine. I think the basement ceiling is in egg-shell. My house is a hard job because of all the cheap layers of oil then latex paint on the walls. When paint is peeling you don't scrape it off because it's too much labor, in my situation anyway. Better to seal it and cover with new paint. My painter says he's trying his best. So far I haven't spot any imperfects that bother me, but it doesn't bother me either that he's doing his best.

There's a virtual fan-deck online at Benjamin Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment