Friday, March 12, 2010

Before Pics Gone Forever

If memory serves me correctly, years ago when the Designer Guys on HGTV was hosted by Steven and Chris they did an episode on a coworker's apartment. The lady's job for the show was to make sure they take all the "before" pictures needed. I thought hm... what an interesting job, I didn't think that such a position exists and what would be an accurate, short but descriptive title? "Before Photographer"?

If I were a "Before Photographer" today I would be fired. Most of the funny looking plumbing at the house is gone, which I think perhaps may be the most amusing part of this house. I will be posting a separate blog about the plumbing, but I will have to draw some diagrams instead to illustrate my point. I had three months, and now they're gone forever - for the better I guess, except for this poor blog. Well, I don't always remember to bring the camera and it doesn't help to have two screaming children waiting for me in the car.

Here are some pics to show the progress from one and half days of demolition.

Front basement room - insulation on the walls on upper half, concrete foundation on lower half. The concrete part was only insulated with thin styrofoam boards.

The basement ceiling was a t-bar ceiling and some odd looking metal sheets. We feared there might be some serious electrical malpractice hidden in there but thankfully we see no scary monsters here. We did discover that one of the beams is broken in two parts. I wonder how much this will cost us to replace as it is a supporting beam that extends out to support the front porch as well.

This wood burner in the basement was not properly install and a major hazard. It was plucked in and surrounded with wall panelling. It needs to be taken directly to the dump so nobody tries to use it.

Our naked bathroom. The toilet will be gone too. More about the toilet in plumbing post. Wow this was fast. And no mold discovered!!! Relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment